Kwigillingok is located on the western shore of Kuskokwim Bay near the mouth of the Kuskokwim River. According to legend passed down by elders, the village was at a spot where there was no river, but over time one was formed when a man dug a trench to retrieve a necklace lost by his daughter at the edge of a lake. Kwigillingok is just over 75 miles southwest from Bethel and is close to the village of Kongiganak. It is sometimes referred to as Kwig.
The first record of the village was documented in 1927 when on the map of the Annual Report of the Governor of Alaska it was identified as Quillingok. A Moravian Church has been established in Kwigillingok since the 1920s. The area has long been occupied by Yup’ik Eskimos and is today a traditional village with an active subsistence lifestyle.
The village has a washeteria, school, health clinic, gravel airstrip, boardwalks and derives its electric power from the Kwig Power Company. The 2000 U.S. Census counted 338 people in Kwigillingok with over 97 percent of them Alaska Native. The village is known for its fine local arts and crafts, commercial fishing and traditional way of life.