Today it sits as a quiet, abandoned village in the Yukon Kuskokwim Delta, but over 100 years ago Hamilton was a bustling supply post and riverboat launch site. It was established in 1897 by the North American Transportation & Trading Company and named after the company’s assistant manager Charles H. Hamilton. The company shipped gold mined from Western Alaska during the gold rush.
Before it became a supply post Hamilton was first reported by the Russian Navy in 1844 as an Eskimo village with the name Aunguamut . It has also been referred to as Old Hamilton and Fort Hamilton.
The community is located southwest of Kotlik in the Bethel Recording District along the right bank of Apoon Pass, a river that hosts a healthy population of a variety of fish species. And while there are no year-round residents, during the summer nearby Kotlik residents use the area for subsistence activities including gathering greens, berry picking, fishing and hunting.
Hamilton faces a subarctic climate, with temperatures ranging from -50 °F to 87 °F. Kotlik, which has a similar climate, sees an average of 60 inches of snowfall and 16 inches of rain annually.