IMMEDIATE RELEASE: MEDIA ALERT
June 17, 2015
16th Annual Golf Classic Tournament Scholarship Fundraiser Features Alaska's Business Leaders
What: The annual golf tournament is the main fundraiser for Calista Education & Culture's scholarship program. Since the scholarship program formally started in 1994, more than $3.7 million in scholarships have been awarded. Thousands of students with ties to the Yukon-Kuskokwim Region have benefited from this program.
- Co-hosts are Ariel Tweto and Phillip Blanchett
- Ken Peltier Band performance
- Ariel first hit national television in ABC's Wipeout, followed by Discovery Channel's Flying Wild Alaska
- Phillip is a founding member of Pamyua, the award-winning Alaska Native band that modernizes traditional and contemporary Inuit songs
- The Ken Peltier Band has performed around the state, from clubs to the Alaska State Fair to Arctic Man, as well as charity events
- Dozens of scholarship recipients and interns
- Rea Bavilla, Calista Education & Culture President/CEO
- Andrew Guy, Calista Corporation President/CEO
- Nearly 150 Alaska business leaders
When: Wednesday, June 17, 6am breakfast, 7am golf start, awards luncheon 12pm
Where: Moose Run "Hill" Golf Course, 27000 Arctic Valley Road
Why: Scenic photo opportunities with Ariel, Phillip, Ken Peltier Band, Rea, Andrew, scholarship recipients, interns and business leaders
Quote: "Businesses around Alaska and the nation are supporting rural students. The youth from the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta are moving toward their educational goals. As a result, these amazing businesses may be advancing the dreams of their company's next president." Rea Bavilla, CEC President/CEO
Calista Education & Culture is an Alaska nonprofit corporation, recognized by the IRS as a Section 501(c)(3) charitable organization, providing scholarships to students who are Calista shareholders or descendants pursuing higher education or career training. CEC's mission is to celebrate and promote "Yuuyaraq," the traditional/cultural way of being in the Calista Region which inspires and encourages our people to achieve their dreams through education. Your financial support helps CEC scholarship recipients achieve their educational goals and become future leaders of tomorrow! Since 1994, more than $3.7 million in scholarships have been awarded.
For more information or to schedule an interview, please contact CEC President/CEO Rea Bavilla or Education & Development Administrator Dora Moore at (907) 275-2800. CEC can be found at www.CalistaEducation.org or on Facebook.